On this page you will find all you need to debug your userspace applications running on your Armadeus board.
Compile your program with debug symbols
- Use -g option of gcc:
$ make shell_env $ . armadeus_env.sh $ export PATH=$PATH:$ARMADEUS_TOOLCHAIN_PATH $ arm-linux-gcc -g -o hello hello.c
- If you have a Makefile for your project, you probably have a CFLAGS variable, so add it -g. Ex:
CFLAGS=-W -Wall -g
Debugging a program running on your APF remotely from your Host (through Ethernet)
- On the target launch your program like that:
# gdbserver 192.168.0.2:2345 program [args]
192.168.0.2 is the IP address of your Host and 2345 the port number to use (examples).
- On your Host launch:
$ arm-linux-gdb program (gdb) set solib-absolute-prefix ./buildroot/output/build/staging_dir/ (gdb) target remote 192.168.0.10:2345
192.168.0.10 is the address of your target
(gdb) break main (gdb) continue ... (gdb) next ...
- If the program is already running, gdbserver can attach itself to the process, if you give him its PID
# ps ... get process PID # gdbserver 192.168.0.2:2345 --attach PID
Debugging directly on your APF (may require more memory)
- You have to build gdb for the target:
$ make menuconfig
Toolchain ---> *** Gdb Options *** [*] Build gdb debugger for the Target
Then you can either reflash your rootfs, or copy $ARMADEUS_ROOTFS_DIR/usr/bin/gdb to your board, to a SD or to a NFS export.
- After installation, launch gdb on your APF:
# gdb your_prog
If you need argument passing:
# gdb --args your_prog your_args
To debug a Core dump:
# gdb your_prog -c your_core_file
- If you see that kind of error message when using gdb:
dlopen failed on 'libthread_db.so.1' - File not found GDB will not be able to debug pthreads.
Don't worry ! ;-)
libthread_db.so (db == debug) is a library that is needed when you want to debug programs using pthread. You will have to reconfigure the uClibc to get it build:
$ make uclibc-menuconfig
General Library Settings ---> ... [*] POSIX Threading Support [*] Build pthreads debugging support ...
- Save your uClibc config and make it standard for next build:
$ cp buildroot/output/toolchain/uClibc-0.9.30.3/.config buildroot/target/device/armadeus/apfXX/uClibc.config.arm
- Then rebuild all the toolchain (this will erase your local modifications !!)
$ rm -rf buildroot/output $ make